Updated: Dec 21, 2018
One of the biggest obstacles for achieving your fitness goals, is finding time to exercise. I have plenty of clients with very busy work schedules and kids, but still manage to make time for exercise. So let's dive in and find a way to fit exercise into your busy life.
Take an objective look at your daily and weekly calendar.
1. Write down all of your daily and weekly activities in a planner, preferably one with hour time slots.
2. Find gaps in your schedule to fit in 30-45 mins of exercise. Don't be resistant to moving things around if it allows you to be more efficient with your time.
3. Most of my clients with busy schedules exercise either before work, during lunch break, or after work.
4. Schedule your workouts and don't cancel on yourself.
5. Be as consistent as possible so that exercise becomes a habit and not just an after thought.
You may have to sacrifice your lunch hour, a little bit of sleep, or watching an episode of Netflix. But think about WHY you want to make time to exercise and what the outcome will be if you do. Whenever you want to quit, ALWAYS REMEMBER WHY YOU STARTED!
Now that you have found time to exercise, here are a few tips to help you stick to your new exercise schedule!
1. Find a convenient location to workout.
Think local park, local gym,work gym, or at home. The more convenient the better! If you have to drive more than 10 mins, it will be easier to cancel on yourself.
2. Find a gym with a day care and bring the kids!
I used to LOVE going to the gym day care when I was a kid and I couldn't wait to be old enough to work out with my parents. Your kids may not like it at first, but they will have other kids to play with and will get used to it. You will also be setting a healthy example for them and they will want to workout too. We all want healthy kids that grow into healthy adults, right?
Side note, Fitness Connection has FREE daycare for only $10 a month membership fee!
3. Try an exercise class that you WANT to go to!
Exercise isn't limited to lifting weights and running. There is something for everyone! Try yoga, pilates, barre, spin, jiu jitsu, crossfit, dance, zumba, boxing, etc... Just move your body!
4. Pack your clothes and shoe the night before so that you don't have any excuses.
5. My personal favorite trick to make sure I go to the gym is ... PRE-WORKOUT!
I used this trick A LOT in the beginning of my fitness journey. Pre-Workout has caffeine and other ingredients that improve focus and energy. You take it about 30 minutes before your workout.
Once you take it, your fate is sealed! You HAVE to go to the gym! You can't let the pre-workout go to waste.
If you are sensitive to caffeine, you can try eating a pre-workout snack to prepare your body for exercise.